Plenary Session 5 - LIVE STREAM
ASHT 2021 Business Meeting & Emerging Issues
Incoming Presidential Address: Out of the Fry Pan and into the Fire
We are all breathing in sighs of relief now that the pandemic is almost over. Or is it? For many, the pandemic has left lasting physical and mental impairments, and no one knows if these impairments are temporary, or will last a lifetime. This presentation will go over some of these impairments and the challenges of how and why therapists need to become better informed about these “long haulers.” As we begin our journey to re-branding ourselves as upper extremity therapists, we as hand therapists must look to the future on how our identity will need to shift to stay relevant with the times we are now living through.
- Understand the pathophysiology and unique aspects of COVID disease, and the challenges of the “long haulers.”
- Gain an appreciation of the challenges hand therapists will face over the next possibly ten years in evaluating and treating this cohort.
- Learn how to stay relevant and engaged as upper extremity therapists.
Practice Division Update: Policy Trends & Hand Therapy Practice
This presentation will provide advocacy and legislative updates from the current year regarding hand therapy. This session includes discussion about ASHT Practice Division activity, Division strategic direction and goals, and insight into the critical role of policymaking has on shaping payment and practice. The session will also include Medicare updates and orthotic reimbursement updates. ASHT members will learn what efforts are underway to address current issues in hand therapy.
- Understand what efforts are active to address issues facing the profession and what measures can be taken to ensure hand therapists’ perspective is represented
- Understand what information is impactful with lawmakers and regulators
- Identify resources and strategies for contributing to advocacy, shaping policy and payment, and impacting practice